Friday, June 20, 2008

We need more Fujimura's...




Praise Jesus for Faith Visuals for producing this clip!


Makoto Fujimura


He is an artist.
He is intelligent.
He paints.
He writes.

He proclaims Christ.

Mako is a Christian of the reformed persuasion.
Mako and Tim Keller are mates.
Mako is the
Creative Director & Founder Artist of IAM
Keller is on the Advisory Board of IAM.

IAM gathers artists and creative catalysts to wrestle with the deep questions of art, faith and humanity in order to inspire the creative community to engage the culture that is and create the world that ought to be.


I am sad that I haven't been introduced to Makoto earlier... but very thankful that I now have.
"I am a Christian. I am also an artist and creative, and what I do is driven by my faith experience."
— Makoto Fujimura said in a 2007 article by Associated Press reporter Eric Gorsk

He and the artists that he as gathered around him have created a new realm where the arts and religion meet. He and IAM are doing great things for Christianity and the Arts. He is bringing faith to the cultural discussion table and putting the gospel on the agenda. I praise Jesus for the way he and the many artists are using their gifts to express the truths of the God who gave them.

As critic Robert Kushner has written, "The idea of forging a new kind of art, about hope, healing, redemption, refuge, while maintaining visual sophistication and intellectual integrity is a growing movement, one which finds Fujimura's work at the vanguard."

I've just bought his book, became a member of IAM (not that I will get much benefit beng here in Aust, but think its a gospel initiative that I want to support) and iwll use Makoto for the God and Art Course I am running at my church in the coming month.

We need more people like Makoto!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thats soooo cool! Prayer through painting!!!