Friday, June 27, 2008

The Gift of Administration...


I am working this week for my old boss.

I have jumped on board the production of Vinnies World Youth 4 Justice Concert, which is on after the Pope's arrival. It's pretty big event with 12 bands/artists in the line up! We are yet to release the names of the artists and unsure whether the concert will be open to general public or only to the Pilgrims

This week I have the job title of Artist Liaison - which involves liaising with all the artists, getting press kits, graphics, by-lines, show times, sound check, contracts, VIPS etc all sorted and scheduled. Loving the organised chaos of production management.

I am also producing the Production Manual which, like all desktop publishing design, is time consuming. Details, details, details...

It's fun to be back working for my old boss... its been 3 years since I worked on the last event.

Being back has made me realise where I learn a lot of my "gift of administration" skills.
My boss is amazing! She has taught me lots about how to run events well. Her 30+ years in the rock and roll industry, pays off!

And so it makes me think - does she have the spiritual gift of administration?
Many unbelievers have this skill set, CEO's, event managers don't get where they are otherwise. But they can't be spiritual gifts right?

So do I distinguish my own gifts that way too... since I had the 'gift of administration' before I became a Christian? I relied on my own strength and skill to do things before and I guess I naturally fall back on it when using these skills to serve my church family?

The church is made up of my family > people not programs/events/structures right? So is the 1 Cor 13 principle my guide in applying the skills I've gained in serving the church, for without love I am a noisy gong? But shouldn't love guide me in all my work secular or not?

I guess whether you are a Christian or not, everything you have, everything you are is a gift of God. They are all God-given abilities. It's whether you attribute it to God!

So perhaps like 1 Corinthians keeps pushing its about your attitude and motivation to serve...love!

The choice is yours:
>>> promote self
>>> promote Jesus


Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms... he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen
1 Peter 4:10-11

No comments: