Thursday, May 15, 2008

I hear a drum beating...



We sung this song* for the first time at church on Sunday night. The song was really well introduced, with the explanation of the songs genesis: written while the band was playing in Thai bars full of prostitutes and surrounded by brothels.

At church this song was teamed with a sermon full of punches on 1 Corinthians 10 warning us about complacency and idolatry, which powerfully spoke to me. It excited within me a desire to live not an aimless life but one that finds its security and joy in Christ, to run hard, to run to the battlefield for greater things are still to be done in this city. Let's fight for godliness and fight so that many might know Jesus.

This song reminds me of another song by Bethany Dillon "A Voice Calling Out" which has lines like:
I can hear a drum beating...
Heaven's battle cry, Rise!....
I see a generation rising up...
Running to the battlefield and finding their lives.


This is the song I have playing in my head out when I go out talking to people about Jesus. I feel the bagpipes and drums that accompanies this song pumps me up and prepares my heart for battle.

It really reminds me of the fighting edge of the gospel. It brings to the forefront of my mind the spiritual battle that is going on in the heavenly realms. It pushes me to pray and makes me want to run to the battle field, to live and love the gospel, declaring Christ to every place, including the darkest of places...

*God of the city - Chris Tomlin (Passion 08)

No comments: