Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Abounding in Thanksgiving for Fonts

I forgot to mention just how thankful I am to God for FONTS. But in reality Fonts deserve a posting all on their own as they truely are an art form of great use and function.

Yes, I admit I may be a nerd but I find great joy in the vast selection of fonts, creative people have developed and have made available to me to enjoy through their generous sharing of them on the net. The search for new fonts is a very addictive hobby.

It was a delight to be at the KYCKSTART '07 meeting last Monday night, where I got to meet other Font Enthusiasts who are on the Creative Hub too - they were inspiration and I felt right at home sharing in the passion for good fonts.

I must thank God for my brother Toby who introduced me 1001 Fonts :: www.1001fonts.com - my first font website and in turn this site introduced me to the very big world of fonts.
Other good sites are FontFox :: www.fontfox.com and Da Fonts :: www.dafonts.com

My favourite everyday font is Trebuchet MS - and now that I share this with you, I am unsure of the passive choice I have made in using the default font for my blog... hmmm.

It is interesting however to note people's choice in their everyday font. It is easy to identify Caro's work as it is always typed in Maiandra GD - it almost becomes a signature, in fact maybe I would even go so far as to say that the choice of your everyday font it is an extention of your identity.

Do you express yourself through your font? What does Trebuchet MS tell about me?

You may be thinking - I am have an unhealthy obsession with fonts or that small things ammuse small minds and I perhaps won't argue with you but it is a simple thing in life that I find pleasure in. When doing flyers, hand outs I feel I can capture an essence of what I am presenting in the font chosen and the font helps convey so well intentions and meanings of the words typed.

It gives just that something extra... I must confess though that often I will just use a font completley unnessacarily, just because I can and because have the freedom to continue to download new fonts when I get bored of old ones!

If you are now intrigued and would like to learn more there is a great site at Microsoft that describes itself to be a site for the amusement & edification of people beginining a love affair with fonts.

Microsoft Typography :: www.microsoft.com/typography www.microsoft.com/typography/glossary

Go enjoy the wonderful world of fonts...

(PS... On another slightly similar nerdy note I would like to thank Dave for introducing me to " :: " - I like the way it spaces things out and I have begun to use them too much - You can usually identify Dave's work by his use of > // and :: , however as I begin to use it more and more it may actually be mine. I am yet to get on bored with > and // as they do nothing for me.)

2 comments:

psychodougie said...

dirtybakersdozen is my fave. i am thankful to you for introducing me to the wonderful world of fonts.
i also regret ever having discovered them - they're like black holes, this strong force that steers you inextricably towards them, keeping you in their grip, until you awake, sweating, startled, with half a dozen fonts - half of which don't even work on mac though they say they do!

Hayley said...

Thanks for you comment Douglas!

You have made me rethink in getting a Mac at the end of year, if I am not going to have font freedom.

hmmmm...