Friday, October 10, 2008

Men and tears...




Augustine, Confessions, Book 9, Chapter 12.
MOURNING MONICA, HIS MOTHER

I closed here eyes; and there flowed a great sadness into my heart and it was passing into tears, when mine eyes at the same time, by the violent control of my mind, sucked back the fountain dry and woe was me in such a struggle! But, as soon as she breathed her last the boy Adeodatus burst out into wailing, but, being checked by us all, he became quiet. In like manner also my own childish feeling, which was, through the youthful voice of my heart, finding escape in tears, was restrained and silenced. For we did not consider it fitting to celebrate that funeral with tearful plaints and groanings; for on such wise are they who die unhappy, or are altogether dead, wont to be mourned. But she neither died unhappy, nor did she altogether die. For of this were we assured by the witness of her good conversation her "faith unfeigned," and other sufficient grounds.

...my soul was stricken, and that life torn apart as it were, which, of hers and mine together, had been made but one.

... with a new sorrow I sorrowed for my sorrow, and was wasted by a twofold sadness.

No comments: