Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What's so funny about comedy...


I went to Comedy at The Fringe Bar on Monday night, with some good mates. We had three comedians entertain us as we enjoyed dinner and drinks.

Having thought about what I heard for a few days now I have lost myself in a world of questions:

  • what makes something funny?
  • why is the default for funny crude and explicit? why do we so easily laugh at crass jokes?
  • why are the sexes, Asians, sex, old people, religion, sex, aeroplanes, sex, occupations & sex the centre of all jokes?
  • why can Christianity and Christians be made fun of, but all other religions are off limits?
  • why does swearing make things funnier? Why does swear word make up every second word of a comedic sentence?
I was thinking that maybe our culture has degenerated so much that clean jokes are seen as lame or classed as Dad jokes... but I was reflecting on the comedians comments above and comedy over the ages and I don't think society has changed that much.

Comedy back in the
good old days of Commedia Del Arte topics were of similar vain to what comedians spin out today. Isabella, Pantelone, Arlecchino, Il Capitano and other characters are all similar stereotypes that get made fun in stand-up acts, the themes of this ancient comedic genre were sex, relationships, miscommunication, and exploiting in jest the weak or minority - team with grotesque costumes to emphasis the point!

Do you reckon there is a place for the Christians to get into Stand Up Comedy and be apart of the dialogue within our culture? Is this a form of public apologetics?

Got any funny friends?
__________________________

Ben Price :: Apparently one of Australia's best impersonators and is a Christian!
http://www.benpricecomedy.com/

Hell of a Joke!
http://www.theage.com.au/news/arts/one-hell-of-a-joke/2006/04/30/1146335603943.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ALWAYS wonder about why Christians/Christianity can be made fun of but not other religions! It's not quite fair...

deb-o-raw said...

Looking for a funny Christian? Look no further than yourself!

I recall laughing a LOT when we worked together. Or maybe it's just that we like to laugh. I certainly do. I have a colleague who I spend a part of each day laughing with. It's great!