Saturday, October 06, 2007

ONCE

I just saw the movie ONCE - A film by John Carney for the second time tonight.

I loved it the first time so much that when I got home from seeing it I bought the soundtrack on iTunes... seeing it again knowing the music and lyrics was a real treat. The music is great!

I found it such a unique movie... or modern quirky musical! I give it 5 stars.
What I loved...
  • was the raw and mysterious characters - you don't really know their names which I guess is played out in the lyrics to one of the songs Falling Slowly - "'I don't know you, but I want to, all the more for that".

  • was the hoover scene, with Marketa dragging her vacuum cleaner around like a dog!

  • was that marriage was upheld as something to work hard at and that there was great delight in doing so... rarely find that in movies these days! (despite this I found in me a desire to see the main characters fondness for each other blossom even though it would have been wrong)

  • Marketa's accent... Czech accents are cool!

  • the music.... it really makes you want to be able to break out into song in your own life to help communicate the highs and lows... music, as Ravi Z says, is the language of the heart - I so agree with him!
Have you seen this movie? If not GO! It's on at Acadamy in Paddo!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey i read an article abuot this movie, it said it was really good! would go see if it i had time...but they said something that the actors were originally only supposed to appear for one song because they're musicians not actors but then they did it so well that they ditched the professional actors and got the musos to do it instead! :)