Saturday, October 14, 2006

Rhinoceros

I have been reading Rhinoceros a absurdist play by Eugene Ionesco and it has been really enjoyable with many laugh out loud moments...

Favourite quotes:

Botard: I work on Sundays as well. I've no time for priests who do their utmost to get you to church, just to prevent you from working, and earning your daily bread by the sweat of your brow.

Papillon: [indignant] Oh!

Botard: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. The fact that I despise religion doesn't mean I don't esteem it highly...

...
Botard: All you get at the univertsities are effete intellectuals with no pracitcal knowledge of life.


...

And this quote really struck me by the characters boldness to apolgise for his pettiness in an argument and the lack of acceptance of the apology instead an insult!

Berenger: But I would like to say how sorry I am for being so insistent ... and so obstinate ... and getting so angry... in fact... I acted stupidly.

Jean: That's not suprising with you.


No comments: